Tuesday 17 May 2011

Nurturing Wisdom.

As a daughter and grand-daughter, my mothers have nurtured in me, their wisdom. Handed down from their mothers before them. A long line of matriarchal wisdom stretching back to when everything first began. As a mother I draw great comfort from my own intuition. It isn't a blind instinct, it's a wisdom that has been nurtured by my mothers before me and comes handed to me in my genes ready to guide me as a woman, a mother. A wisdom that I have passed to my own three children and especially to my daughter.

I have started this blog for a few reasons.

Firstly, I want a personal space to write in and be able to share things that I have written using social networking such as Facebook. I also want to be able to collate interesting article links and use this blog as a hub for some of the blogs and websites I visit and take an interest in.

I'm hoping long term that this space might become an online resource for parents in my local community.

Somewhere to share ideas, learn together and support one another.

Increasingly it seems that our political leaders seem content to withdraw funding from areas that impacts on the most vulnerable people in our society. I will write more on this another time but I passionatley feel that the time for communities to act is NOW! My own vocational interests lie with the provision of post-natal peer support for mums and dads. Increasingly, the amount of post-natal support that the midwifery and health visiting teams can provide is being cut and cut again. Organisations such as the National Childbirth Trust are working hard to try and make up for the shortfall and whilst on the one hand, I am annoyed and frustrated by the changes in midwifery in this country, I also know that I can offer something to my local community by way of being there to fill the gap. Its not a new idea. It is what women have been doing for each other since it all began.


....people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.... Maya Angelou

No comments:

Post a Comment